“Schooling doesn’t assure employment but skill does”-This line has an extremely moral standard. We are living in that era when the world is constantly changing, people are becoming more educated academically. Education and academic certificates have a proportional relation but education and employment don’t have. There is no one subject or set of subjects that can serve us the foreseeable future. For example, the unemployment rate in 2020 is 4.15% in Bangladesh. Approximately 40.61% people are job holder and rest are in agricultural sectors. Eccentrically, the country has reached the goal of a 90 percent graduation rate by 2020.Hence proved, the equation of employment and graduation are not good at all. The jobs opportunities are depending on the two pillars – skills and experiences. None of these two, can cause unemployment.
There is a thin line between experience and skill. Skills are the key factors of a job and experiences are the utilization of skills. The skills aren’t always subject associated, means whatever the background of your study is some of the skills are needed for every job. Even if you don’t think you have any job skills, but you have these employability skills then you are on the point. For any kind of career jobs there would be some specific skills required by employers. Because, even the employers are also looking for general job skills. These are known as employability skills. To accomplish this, employers first need to understand the skills they will need to remain competitive and innovative. These types of skills can make you stand on your career in future.
These soft skills might not be listed in the position description, but they are common skills needed to get a job. The employers need to take a proactive role in ensuring they have a workforce equipped with the skills of the future. These are relatable with soft skills. Different people define the job skills in different ways, but generally they can be broken down into the same categories. Check out the top ten skills for a job in future.
- Problem solving
- Creativity, originality, and initiative
- Technology design and programming
- Virtual collaboration
- Judgment and decision making
- Diversity and cultural intelligence
Communication skills are needed to speak appropriately with a wide variety of people whilst maintaining good eye contact, demonstrate a varied vocabulary and tailor your language to your audience, listen effectively, present your ideas appropriately, write clearly and concisely, and work well in a group. Many of these are essential skills that most employers seek. Depending on the job, communication means being clear about what you mean and what you want to achieve when you talk or write. It involves listening and being able to understand where someone else is coming from. Communication skills also include non-verbal communication, such as the body language you use.
Examples of the ways that one can develop or improve your communication skills include:
- Writing assignments and reports as part of studies
- Blogging or using social media
- Making oral presentations as part of assigned work
- Working in customer service (face-to-face or on the phone)
- Getting involved in a local club
- Being aware of how you hold your body
- Careful about languages
- Able to tailor tone and message to the audiences, and get their point across quickly and succinctly
- Having an eye contact with the audience
Teamwork means the ability to work together toward a common vision. The ability to direct individual accomplishment toward organizational objectives and being able to get along with the people someone work with. Teamwork is partially dependable on interpersonal communication skills. Interpersonal communication skills are the skills we use when engaged in face-to-face communication with one or more other people. It involves working together to achieve a shared goal. New consumer markets offer opportunities for growth, and businesses can arbitrage talent and suppliers around the world. Skills that you can develop or improve your teamwork skills include:
- Volunteering for a community organization
- Thinking about how you can work better with other people at your workplace
- Joining a sporting team
- Organizing programs with friends or family
- Be a helping hand to the neighbor’s
- Giving suggestions and having the patience for listening to others
- Appreciate other team members
- Helping to organize a community event
- Being a part of academic activity.
Problem solving means finding solutions when you’re faced with difficulties or setbacks. It determines the cause of a problem and sort that out. It involves being able to use a logical process to figure the entire thing out. Examples of ways you can develop or improve your problem-solving skills include:
- Doing research assignments as a part of your studies
- Dealing with complaints at your workplace and finding the solution
- A study skills course that looks at problem solving should done
- Talking to other people about how they solved the problems they faced
- Fixing things around the house by looking up search engine to find out how to do it.
- Settle some matters down happening on life
- Have patience to work on a roaster
Creativity, originality, and initiative
Copy-Paste, Copy-cat are some most used words in recent times. These terms are mostly done by students which is completely a bad habit. Originality has his own aura. At first you may fail, you shouldn’t be grumpy with that. If you want to make your own identity then you have to avoid these things. Initiative and enterprise mean looking for things that need to be done and doing them without being asked. This can also involve thinking creatively to make improvements to the way things are done. Examples, of ways you can develop or improve your initiative and enterprise skills include:
- Approaching organizations and businesses about work placements or internships
- Setting up a fundraiser in your community
- Making or proposing changes to the way a group you belong to does things
- Doing things around the house without being asked.
- Update a project which you are inspires from
- Always try to create something
- Developing project timelines and meeting deadlines
- If you are obsessed with something then try to make a huge change to that so that it could be the better version of that
- Try to be initiative at the same time and follow the great developers
Technology design and programming
Our daily life is encompassed by technology. Technology is a field involves architecture, construction, engineering and video game graphic design. Also, the development of ideas from rough sketches and basic design layouts to working maps, models, drawings and illustrations. Identify a problem, research the problem, generate possible solutions, select the best solution are the process to deal with a problem. Create a model, test the model, refine and retest the model as needed, and communicate the final solution are the steps to work on. Algorithm, data mining and web designs are the additions to it. Now, dealing with the technology design and programming skills are like-
- Learn to differentiate and understand the role and function of various current and emerging technologies
- Need to have a basic knowledge on computer hardware, networking, programming, and database and Internet technologies
- For any functionary action, the essential operating system components and the operating services are must
- Besides these, the knowledge of basic computer organization and the relationship between hardware components and the operating system are somehow needed to deal with any organization. Having the knowledge is highly privileged for a job
- Understanding the proper technical and model design, system development life cycle concepts to plan, design, develop and code a database
Self-management is our ability to manage our behaviors, thoughts, and emotions in a conscious and productive way. Someone with strong self-management skills knows what to do and how to act in different situations. In a jobs for instance, self – controls are your plus point to prevent you from any misdeeds. You know how to avoid distractions while working, so they can maintain focus and stay productive. Self-management means you understand your personal responsibility in different aspects of your life, and you do what you need to fulfill that responsibility.
- Be able to do your job without someone having to check up on you all the time
- Staying on top of your own deadlines
- Delegating tasks to other people to make sure things get done on time
- Developing a study timetable and sticking to it
- Doing a work experience placement or internship
- Asking for new responsibilities at work
- Developing a study schedule and sticking to it
- Joining a volunteer organization
Process of gaining knowledge leads to changes called learning. Learning is about wanting to understand new things and picking them up quickly. It also involves taking on new tasks and being able to adapt to change. It’s an act related to transformative process of taking in information. Learning is a complete mixture of internalization and experience which depends on changes what we know and builds on what we do. Examples of ways to develop or improve your learning skills include:
- Researching skills and courses you’d like to do
- Focus on your current obsession
- Joining a sporting or volunteer group
- Teaching yourself a new skill, like making the perfect presentation
- travelling by yourself overseas or interstate
- efforts to build workforces, companies are failing to create inclusive workplaces
Technology skills mean being able to use a computer for word processing, using spreadsheets and sending email, or knowing how to use office equipment like a photocopier. It goes beyond our existing knowledge of virtual sensitivity and awareness by highlighting certain skillsets and capabilities needed to successfully realize your objectives in online platform. These also involve using social media, working with design or video editing software or knowing programming languages. Ways to develop or improve your technology skills include:
- Do a short online course to get trained or practice yourself
- Finding out what technology is used in the job you want and how it’s used
- Making a list of all the technology you’re already using in your day-to-day life.
- Build Trust & Rapport in the Virtual Workplace.
- Tame the Online Meeting Monster.
- Reach Agreements with Virtual Co-Workers.
- Give Feedback from a distance.
Judgment and decision making
To address our questions on judgment and decision making, we are excluding specific legal and religious definitions. The ability or capacity to decide make considered and effective decisions are called decision making. These come to sensible conclusions, perceive and distinguish relationships, understand situations, and form objective opinions are the judgements. The opinion, conclusion, determination, or outcome produced from exercising or demonstrating judgment.
- Learn to anticipate outcomes and see logical consequence
- Navigate the risk and uncertainty
- Try to identify critical factors which affects the outcome of a decision
- Reason well in contexts requiring quantitative analysis.
- Define the problem, challenge, or opportunity
- Generate an array of possible solutions or responses.
- Evaluate the costs and benefits, or pros and cons, associated with each option.
- Select a solution or response and then implement
- Assess the impact of the decision and modify the course of action as needed
Diversity and cultural intelligence
Cultural Intelligence refers to the skills to relate and work effectively in culturally diverse situations. In short, Cultural Intelligence is the ability to manage cultural diversity. It’s the capability to cross boundaries and prosper in multiple cultures. Diversity increases the complexity of business. Even established businesses stumble in their global ambitions. Organizations with well-managed diversity programs and workforces with high cultural intelligence are best placed to thrive amid global complexity and change.
- Understanding the culture and cultural differences
- Applying the strategy of the ability to flex mentally is a key to benefit in job market.
- Try to confine to a single worldview and are open to new or integrative ideas
- To unlock the social categorization processes and promotes inclusion, open dialogue, and shared learning
- Appreciate, affirm, and show sensitivity to all cultural backgrounds
- Listen actively in conversation with people of vastly who have different experiences, thoughts
- To get informed judgments based on observations and evidence